It has been a busy summer and the new school year is already underway. I’ve acquired a few new responsibilities, which have taken up more of my free time, leaving less time for my side projects such as GradeL and yard work. 🙂
I thank you for your patience and hope GradeL users will remain patient as I try to catch up on requests for fixes and features. Right now my focus will be on maintenance and bugs. Then, as time permits, I’ll try to tackle additions. The irony is that part of my time is being taken up learning a new grade book program at work 🙂 Go figure.
Today, I uploaded a Spanish translation of GradeL version 0.12.1 to SourceForge. The translation was completed by Matthew Parmigiani (Matías Parmigiani) from Argentina. We put together this translation using brute force. Matt just went through the code and translated all of the text in the menus and dialogs to Spanish. In the future, I hope to incorporate this translation into the source using the translation features of Gambas and the Gambas IDE.
This was a learning experience for me and I’m grateful to Matt for volunteering. One important note about GradeL and this translation is that this release still uses the American notation for decimals numbers with the period as the decimal separator. Through Matt (and Wikipedia) I now know that some countries and languages use a comma as the decimal point, not the period like we do here in the US. In the future, I should be able to accommodate this difference into the code as well.
Just uploaded the source archive and .deb package for another release of GradeL. This one includes three fixes and one small enhancement. The important fixes include a correction in how weighted grades are calculated when a category has no items, and a crash that was taking place when trying to print progress reports. Also, at the request of a user, I added the option of printing all progress reports with one student per page.
As usual, you can read the ChangeLog for details on this update and/or download it. Also, please make suggestions for improvement and report any bugs you may encounter.
Over the past month I’ve had more bug reports come in and fortunately, I’ve been able to fix each issue. (It would just be nice if I’d have caught them in the first place.) So, I’m hoping to get a bug fix release out soon.
Two major issues that have been addressed are grade calculation with the weighted averages option and a printing crash when printing progress reports.
Stay tuned for the next release. Thanks you to those who have reported these bugs…keep the feedback coming!
Just uploaded version 0.12.0 of GradeL. See the ChangeLog for details or download this release. As usual, please report any bugs you may encounter. These reports help improve GradeL. Thanks to all those who have provided feedback!
Thanks to the requests of a user from the forum, I’ve made a few more additions to GradeL for the next release. Many of these are already documented in the Wiki.
Now, when a student has comments entered for the current marking period, an asterisk will appear before the student’s name as a reminder to the teacher that the comments exist.
I’ve also added more information to the OnlineGrade export file. For those familiar with the OnlineGrades file format, the assignment category now appears between the <EALR> tags.
The next release is being prepared and should be available sooner or later. If you’d like a sneak peak, you can download the current snapshot of the executable archive or the source archive. However, use these at your own risk.
Many of the programs I use these day provide a feature where they will update themselves or at least check to make sure the user is running the most current stable version. I have added the latter to GradeL.
Now, in the Help menu, there is an option to “Check for Updates“. When this item is selected, the program uses an HTTP request to check a file on my server, which contains the latest version number and compares it to that of the version being run by the user.
For those interested in the implementation, I originally just spawned an instanced of wget with the Gambas EXEC command and then opened the file, read the contents, and deleted the file. Fortunately, after digging a little deeper in the Gambas documentation, I discovered the Gambas component gb.net.curl, which includes an HTTPClient object type. You can use this object to retrieve an file via HTTP and store it in a string buffer. The Gambas documentation provides a good example of what I did.
So, although GradeL will not depend on wget, it will now require two more Gambas components, gb.net and gb.net.curl. Look for this feature in the next release of GradeL.
GradeL 0.11.2 has been released. You can grab the source package or the Ubuntu Karmic .deb package from the download page(the .deb file should work on any Debian based distro also). This release includes several bug fixes and a few small feature enhancements and additions, including the new report that displays category averages for each student. For details on these updates and changes please review the ChangeLog.
As you already know, GradeL is a small, open-source project. Please continue to provide feedback and report bugs that you may encounter. While GradeL development is slow, it is still moving forward with your help.